Thursday, December 2, 2010

30 Days of Skating - Day 14: 5 Favorite Dance Teams


I don't watch nearly as much ice dancing as I should, but I do have a few teams that I really like.

Based off of the last half of last season and the beginning of this season, my current favorites are Meryl Davis and Charlie White, Maia Shibutani and Alex Shibutani, Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir.

The Shibutanis have really impressed me this season; even with my incomplete knowledge of ice dancing's technical aspect, they seem like they really have a handle on all of the elements they attempt (their twizzles especially are ridiculously good.). More than that though, I really enjoy how they perform. They make ice dancing look fun, easy, and beautiful, and skate so ethereally that it looks like they are skating on air. I really, really hope that they make the World team this season.

Davis and White and Virtue and Moir both really impressed me at the Olympics and Worlds. Both skated lights out, and it's really interesting to see this changing of the guard in ice dancing take place, after beginning a few years ago. It'll be interesting to see how they shape up against each other once Virtue has fully recovered from her surgery.

I also used to like Tanith Belbin and Benjamin Agosto a lot, but they lost their luster for me after the 05-06 season ended. I suppose they were attempting to move onto "more mature" programs, but I don't think what they choose fit their style very well and they began to bore me (which was a factor in my watching ice dancing less).

I know that's only four, but those are the only ones I can list even somewhat definitively, haha. Who are your favorite ice dancing teams?

No comments: