Friday, March 4, 2011

30 Days of Skating - Day 30: Why you love figure skating

I thought this would be a fitting topic for my 100th post on this blog. =)  Thank you so much to everyone who's been reading!

I love figure skating because it's a beautiful combination of art and sport. It reminds me of dancing, but there's so many beautiful movements that aren't really possible to do with anything other than ice and blades. I love the moments when a skater does a move, even something simple, and it is just so right with the music and it literally takes your breath away.

I find it amazing how some skaters really can touch one's heart through their performance; I love that connection and think it's a truly special thing. Things like that really make it transcend from simply athletics into a piece of art, and I feel that the skaters who accomplish that are the ones who will really be remembered.The different personalities that are displayed in programs make figure skating that much more intriguing - there's probably at least one skater that you will like, even if you don't care for skating as a whole. It's fun to see that kind of variety even while the skaters perform many of the same elements; it makes them stand out. 

While I haven't been able to skate regularly in a long time, I love it when I get the chance to. It feels like flying, and even the cold air feels sweet, in a way. The work involved in learning elements really makes you appreciate what elite skaters do that much more. It's the little things, I think, like hitting just the right spot on your blade to do a twizzle or landing a nice salchow, that make skating so gratifying.

No comments: